- Alvarez-Paiva, MD, Gustavo A.
- Ayoade, MD , PhD, Katherine O.
- Bierbaum, MD, W. Frederick
- Bridge, MD, Julia A.
- Chang, MD, Dongkun Jack
- Chenault, MD, FCAP, Carrie
- Czapla, MD, Aggie
- Dang, MD, Daniel N.
- Driver, MD, Brandon
- El-Zayaty, MD, Chad
- Eze, MD, MHS, Ogechukwu P.
- Hernandez, MD, Amanda K.
- Hick, MD, Ryan W.
- Hill, MD, Isabel C.
- Hosler, MD, PhD, Gregory A.
- Hu, MD, PhD, Xiaofeng
- Joldoshova, MD, Albina
- Juarez, MD , Valerie M.
- Koo, MD, Jamie
- Law, MD, Robert M.
- Lemeshev, MD, Yan H.
- Lewin, MD, Matthew
- Lewin, MD, Marc R.
- Litz, MD, Craig E.
- Ly, DO, Uyen Debbie
- Ly, MD, Linda
- Malhotra, MD, Reenu
- Miles, MD, Janet M.
- Murphy, PhD, Kathleen M.
- Music, MD, Jodi S.
- O’Leary, MD, Erin
- Oliai, MD, Bahram Robert
- Onyeagocha, MD, Chukwuma O.
- Paluru, MD, Swetha
- Patel, DDS, Paras B.
- Patel, MD, Ravi A.
- Patel, MD, Kirtesh
- Peters, MD, PhD, John M.
- Podberezin, MD, PhD, Mark
- Rainwater, MD, Gina
- Roberts, MD, MBA, Cory A.
- Ruiz, MD, Monica I.
- Sarode, MD, Venetia R.
- Simms, MD, Anthony
- Smith MD, Stacey L.
- Snowden, MD, Cindi
- Susa, DO, Joseph S.
- Tarabishy, MD, Yaman
- Tumminello, MD, Katherine
- Underwood, MD, Caroline I.M.
- Vinovrski, MD, Todd J.
- Wagner, DO, Diana
- Washington, MD, Paula J.
- Wu, MD, Horace C.
Caroline I.M. Underwood, MD
Anatomic and Clinical Pathology
ProPath, a Sonic Healthcare anatomic pathology practice, is privileged to include Caroline I.M. Underwood, M.D., as a part of its dynamic medical staff. Dr. Underwood is an award-winning, board-certified pathologist who brings professional medical, academic, and leadership experience and an extensive list of publications and presentations.
Dr. Underwood graduated from the University of Georgia, College of Public Health, in Athens, GA, with a Bachelor of Science degree in health promotion and behavior. She earned her medical degree from the Medical College of Georgia, Augusta University, in Augusta, GA. Following her degrees, Dr. Underwood served a residency in anatomic and clinical pathology at Duke University Medical Center in Durham, North Carolina, where she held the position of chief resident. She then completed a fellowship in dermatopathology in the Duke University Department of Pathology.
Dr. Underwood has held a variety of positions during her career. She spent three years in a laboratory management apprenticeship at Durham VA Hospital with a focus on laboratory efficiency and personnel guidelines. She’s held several teaching roles. She taught the Cancer Care Experience and Body and Disease courses at Duke University Medical School. She also taught the OncoScan for Dermatopathology course at Duke University Hospital, Division of Molecular Pathology. She’s had several leadership positions. She sat on the resident council at Duke University Hospital, a collaborative that focused on improving resident learning and well-being. She’s also held positions as a member of the resident advisory board and resident editor of Pathology Outlines. In 2022, Dr. Underwood won the Christine Hulette Teaching Award for excellence in teaching pathology to medical students.
Dr. Underwood has a considerable list of publications, including peer-reviewed manuscripts, abstracts, web-based publications, and oral presentations. She’s been published in the American Journal of Clinical Pathology and the Journal of Pediatric Hematology Oncology, among others. She’s presented abstracts at professional conferences such as the annual meetings of the American Society of Dermatopathology, United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology, and the College of American Pathologists.
Dr. Underwood is a member of professional organizations such as the American Society of Dermatopathology, College of American Pathologists, North Carolina Society of Pathologists, and the United States and Canadian Academy of Pathologists, among others.
Dr. Underwood holds full medical licensure and is board certified in anatomic and clinical pathology.
University of Georgia College of Public Health (BS)
Medical College of Georgia (MD)
Anatomic and Clinical Pathology Residency
Duke University Medical Center
American Society of Dermatopathology
College of American Pathologists
North Carolina Society of Pathologists
American Medical Association
American Society for Clinical Pathology
United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology
- Underwood CIM, Cardona DM, Bentley RC, Shen G, Feng X, Jour G, Al-Rohil RN. Epithelioid hyalinizing sarcoma with MGA-NUTM1 fusion. Am J Clin Pathol. 2020 Nov 4;154(6):859-866.
- Underwood CIM, Mansoori P, Selim AM, Al-Rohil RN. Trichoblastic carcinosarcoma: a case report and literature review. J Cutan Pathol. 2020 Apr;47(4):409-413.
- Underwood CIM, Wang E. Concomitant lymphoplasmacytic lymphoma and plasma cell myeloma. ASCP Case Rep Hematopathol. 2020;HP2002.
- Keskinyan VS, Noyd DH, Underwood CIM, Van Mater D. Sweet syndrome in pediatric acute myeloid leukemia. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol. 2021 Jan;43(1):31-32.
- Scholl AR, Underwood CIM, Al-Rohil RA. The utility of PRAME immunohistochemistry in identifying cutaneous spitzoid melanomas [poster]. USCAP Meeting, New Orleans, LA, March 2023.
- Underwood CIM, Blanchard S, Al-Rohil RA. Clinical presentation and histologic evaluation of pachydermodactyly [poster]. American Society of Dermatopathology Meeting, Chicago, IL, October 2022.
- Underwood CIM, Moore J, Patterson NH, Nicholson S, Norris J, Selim MA, Schneider M, Alomari AK, Al-Rohil RA. Imaging mass spectrometry aids in the classification of capsular nevi versus metastatic melanoma in lymph nodes [poster]. USCAP Meeting, Los Angeles, CA, March 2021.
- Underwood CIM, Meenal K, Selim MA, Al-Rohil RN. Cutaneous lymphoplasmacytic lymphoma presenting as granuloma annulare [2nd place, poster]. North Carolina Society of Pathologists Virtual Meeting, April 2021.
- Underwood CIM, Meenal K, Selim MA, Al-Rohil RN. Cutaneous lymphoplasmacytic lymphoma presenting as granuloma annulare [poster]. American Society of Dermatopathology Meeting, Chicago, IL, November 2020.
- Underwood CIM, Pendse AA. Donor liver cirrhosis due to unrecognized alpha-1-antitryspin deficiency – case presentation and review of literature [poster]. College of American Pathologists Meeting, Las Vegas, NV, October 2020.
- Underwood CIM, Premo H, Anderson B, Rapisardo S, Pendse AA, Glass C, Neff J. Autopsy findings in adult onset hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis: a 5-case series and literature review. USCAP Meeting, Los Angeles, CA, March 2020.
- Jajosky R, Heaton C, Mullins C, Singh G, Shikle J. Evaluating the medical necessity of holiday and weekend on-call apheresis procedures at a teaching hospital [poster]. American Association of Blood Banks, Orlando, FL, October 2016.