- Alvarez-Paiva, MD, Gustavo A.
- Ayoade, MD , PhD, Katherine O.
- Bierbaum, MD, W. Frederick
- Bridge, MD, Julia A.
- Chang, MD, Dongkun Jack
- Chenault, MD, FCAP, Carrie
- Czapla, MD, Aggie
- Dang, MD, Daniel N.
- Driver, MD, Brandon
- El-Zayaty, MD, Chad
- Eze, MD, MHS, Ogechukwu P.
- Hernandez, MD, Amanda K.
- Hick, MD, Ryan W.
- Hill, MD, Isabel C.
- Hosler, MD, PhD, Gregory A.
- Hu, MD, PhD, Xiaofeng
- Joldoshova, MD, Albina
- Juarez, MD , Valerie M.
- Koo, MD, Jamie
- Law, MD, Robert M.
- Lemeshev, MD, Yan H.
- Lewin, MD, Matthew
- Lewin, MD, Marc R.
- Litz, MD, Craig E.
- Ly, DO, Uyen Debbie
- Ly, MD, Linda
- Malhotra, MD, Reenu
- Miles, MD, Janet M.
- Murphy, PhD, Kathleen M.
- Music, MD, Jodi S.
- O’Leary, MD, Erin
- Oliai, MD, Bahram Robert
- Onyeagocha, MD, Chukwuma O.
- Paluru, MD, Swetha
- Patel, DDS, Paras B.
- Patel, MD, Ravi A.
- Patel, MD, Kirtesh
- Peters, MD, PhD, John M.
- Podberezin, MD, PhD, Mark
- Rainwater, MD, Gina
- Roberts, MD, MBA, Cory A.
- Ruiz, MD, Monica I.
- Sarode, MD, Venetia R.
- Simms, MD, Anthony
- Smith MD, Stacey L.
- Snowden, MD, Cindi
- Susa, DO, Joseph S.
- Tarabishy, MD, Yaman
- Tumminello, MD, Katherine
- Underwood, MD, Caroline I.M.
- Vinovrski, MD, Todd J.
- Wagner, DO, Diana
- Washington, MD, Paula J.
- Wu, MD, Horace C.
Joseph S. Susa, DO
Dermatopathology, Anatomic and Clinical Pathology
Surgical Pathology, Dermatopathology
Melanocytic Lesions, Follicular and Adnexal Tumors, Dermatologic Oncology, Dermatopathology Medical Education, Dermatopathologist
ProPath, a Sonic Healthcare Anatomic Practice, is privileged to include Joseph S. Susa, D.O., as a member of its dynamic medical staff. Dr. Susa has an extensive academic, teaching, and medical professional background.
Dr. Susa received his Bachelor of Arts degree in psychology, graduating with high honors from the University of Rhode Island in Kingston. He went on to receive his medical degree from the Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine in Missouri. He began his postgraduate training with a traditional rotating internship at the University of North Texas Health Science Center in Fort Worth before completing an anatomic and clinical pathology residency at Parkland Hospital of the University of Texas Southwestern in Dallas. Subsequently, he completed a surgical pathology fellowship and a dermatopathology fellowship at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center.
Following his postgraduate training, Dr. Susa garnered professional medical and teaching experience. He was an assistant instructor of pathology at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, as well as clinical assistant professor of dermatology. He then served as the director and co-director of the dermatopathology fellowship program prior to his position as a staff dermatopathologist at Cockerell Dermatopathology and at Cockerell and Associates.
Over the years, Dr. Susa has developed extensive professional medical experience. He is a member of professional medical organizations and holds medical research publications and articles in peer-reviewed medical journals and textbooks, in addition to numerous abstracts and oral and poster presentations at professional medical society meetings.
Dr. Susa holds full medical licensure and is board certified in anatomic and clinical pathology and dermatopathology.
University of Rhode Island (BA), Kingston, RI
Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine (DO), Kirksville, MO
Dermatopathology Fellowship, University of Texas, Southwestern Medical Center Dallas, TX
Surgical Pathology Fellowship, University of Texas, Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX
Anatomic and Clinical Pathology Residency, University of Texas, Southwestern, Parkland Hospital, Dallas, TX
Fattah YH, Liu SS, Susa JS, Hanly A, Russo J, Karai LJ. Spindle cell lipoma with florid primary follicular lymphocytic hyperplasia: a novel association with potential diagnostic pitfalls. Am J Dermatopathol. 2023 Aug 1;45(8):563-566.
Tomc CM, Nguyen DA, Susa JS, Weis SE. Resolved peristomal erosive papulonodular dermatitis mimicking nevoid hyperkeratosis of the nipple and areola. HCA Healthc J Med. 2023 Jun 28;4(3):243-248.
- Ojong O, Susa J, Weiss E. A solitary brown nodule on the umbilicus. JAAD Case Rep. 2020 Aug 14;6(10):1024-1026.
- Hinojosa JA, Maxim E, Garza-Chapa JI, Tovar-Garza A, Susa JS. Diffuse papular rash in a young woman: challenge. Am J Dermatopathol. 2019 Aug;41(8):e82-e83.
- Marks E, Wang Y, Shi Y, Susa JS, Jacobson M, Goldstein DY. Specific TCR gene rearrangements in mycosis fungoides: does advanced clinical stage show a preference? J Clin Pathol. 2018 Dec;71(12):1072-1077.
- Reagin H, Marks E, Weis S, Susa JS. Livedoid vasculopathy presenting in a patient with sickle cell disease. Am J Dermatopathol. 2018 Sep;40(9):682-685.
- Powell PR, Garza-Chapa JI, Susa JS, Weis SE. Perianal comedones: a rare incidental finding. Case Rep Dermatol Med. 2017;2017:9019682
- Chen TY, Morrison AO, Susa JS, Cockerell CJ. Primary low-grade neuroendocrine carcinoma of the skin: an exceedingly rare entity. J Cutan Pathol. 2017 Nov;44(11):978-981.
- Walker D, Susa JS, Currimbhoy S, Jacobe H. Histopathological changes in morphea and their clinical correlates: results from the morphea in adults and children cohort V. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2017 Jun;76(6):1124-1130.
- Goldberg MS, Wetherington SJ, Susa JS, Wickless SC, Cockerell CJ. Characterization of tissue and slide artifacts from automated embedding systems. Am J Dermatopathol. 2015 Nov;37(11):846-9.
- Karai LJ, Sanik E, Ricotti CA, Susa JS, Sinkre P, Aleodor AA. Langerhans cell sarcoma with lineage infidelity/plasticity: a diagnostic challenge and insight into the pathobiology of the disease. Am J Dermatopathol. 2015 Nov;37(11):854-61.
- Byekova Y, Marrazzo G, Thorpe R, Susa JS, Taylor S. Fibrosarcomatous transformation of a dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans during pregnancy. Dermatol Surg. 2015 Sep;41(9):1077-9.
- Vandergriff T, Nezafati KA, Susa JS, Karai L, Sanguinetti A, Hynan LS, Ambruzs JM, Oliver DH, Pandya AG. Defining early mycosis fungoides: validation of a diagnostic algorithm proposed by the International Society for Cutaneous Lymphomas. J Cutan Pathol. 2015 May;42(5):318-28.
- Lian CG, Bueno EM, Granter SR, Laga AC, Saavedra AP, Lin WM, Susa JS, Zhan Q, Chandraker AK, Tullius SG, Pomahac B, Murphy GF. Biomarker evaluation of face transplant rejection: association of donor T cells with target cell injury. Mod Pathol. 2014 Jun;27(6):788-99.
- Adotama P, Susa JS, Glass DA 2nd. Primary milia localized to the vulva. Dermatol Online J. 2014 Apr 16;20(4):22339.
- Thorpe RB, Gray A, Kumar KR, Susa JS, Chong BF. Site-specific analysis of inflammatory markers in discoid lupus erythematosus skin. ScientificWorldJournal. 2014 Mar 11;2014:925805.
- Weis SE, Vecino I, Pogoda JM, Susa JS. Treatment of high-grade anal intraepithelial neoplasia with infrared coagulation in a primary care population of HIV-infected men and women. Dis Colon Rectum. 2012 Dec;55(12):1236-43.
- Nezafati KA, Cayce RL, Susa JS, Setiawan AT, Tirkes T, Bendeck SE, Jacobe HT. 14-MHz ultrasonography as an outcome measure in morphea (localized scleroderma). Arch Dermatol. 2011 Sep;147(9):1112-5.
- Weis SE, Vecino I, Pogoda JM, Susa JS, Nevoit J, Radaford D, McNeely P, Colquitt CA, Adams E. Prevalence of anal intraepithelial neoplasia defined by anal cytology screening and high-resolution anoscopy in a primary care population of HIV-infected men and women. Dis Colon Rectum. 2011 Apr;54(4):433-41.
- Harrington CR, Beswick TC, Susa JS, Pandya AG. Acquired cutis laxa associated with heavy chain deposition disease. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2008 Nov;59(5 Suppl):S99-101.
- Patino WD, Susa JS. Epigenetics of cutaneous melanoma. Adv Dermatol. 2008;24:59-70.
- Rust MM, Susa JS, Naylor R, Cavuoti D. Clear cell carcinoma in a background of endometriosis. Case report of a finding in a midline abdominal scar 5 years after a total abdominal hysterectomy. Acta Cytol. 2008 Jul-Aug;52(4):475-80.
- Larsen F, Susa JS, Cockerell CJ, Abramovits W. Case of multiple verrucous carcinomas responding to treatment with acetretin more likely to have been a case of verrucous psoriasis. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2007 Sep;57(3):534-5.
- Khan AI, Susa JS, Ansari MQ. Systemic sclerosis (scleroderma). Laboratory Medicine. 2005;36(11):723-726.
- Susa JS, Bennet MJ, Jones PM. Lethargy, failure to thrive, and vomiting in a neonate. Laboratory Medicine. 2003;34(11):775-778.
- Wooten DC, Susa JS, Baskin L. Conflicting whole blood and urine ethanol results. Laboratory Medicine. 2002; 33:227-228.
- Susa JS. Pseudotumor cerebri: an uncommon cause of headache and visual change (Part 2). Cape County Medical Journal. 2000;50(6):24.
- Susa JS. Pseudotumor cerebri: an uncommon cause of headache and visual change (Part 1). Cape County Medical Journal. 2000;50(5):22-24.
- Susa JS et al. Multiple chapters: Contact dermatitis, Eosinophilic panniculitis, Sclerema neonatorum, Lipoid proteinosis, Grover disease, Porokeratosis, Epidermolytic hyperkeatosis, Epstein Barr virus infection, Arthropod bite reactions, Larva migrans and currens, and Onchocerciasis. In: Hall BJ, Hall JC, Cockerell CJ, eds. Diagnostic Pathology: Nonneoplastic Dermatopathology. 1st Salt Lake City, UT: Amirsys; 2012.
- Susa JS and Cockerell CJ. Cutaneous manifestations of HIV/AIDS. In Hall BJ, Hall JC, Cockerell CJ, eds. HIV/AIDS in the Post-Haart Era. Shelton, CT: People’s Medical Publishing House; 2011.
- Susa JS, Wright N, Kho GT, Bandel C, Cockerell CJ. Dermatologic manifestations of HIV Infection. In: Cohen J, Opal SM, Powderly WG, eds. Infectious Diseases. 3rd ed. Edinburgh, UK: Mosby/Elsevier; 2010: 994-1001.
- Marks E, Malik A, Susa JS, Cockerell CJ. Juxtaclavicular beaded lines. American Society of Dermatopathology Annual Meeting, Chicago, IL, October 2018.
- Albahrani, Y, Rainwater G, Susa JS. Artifactual immunohistochemical staining of Mycobaterium leprae with Treponema pallidum antibody. American Society of Dermatopathology Annual Meeting, Chicago, IL, October 2016.
- Vandergriff TW, Nezafati K, Susa JS, Karai LP, Sanguinetti A, Ambruzs J, Oliver DH, Pandya AG. Defining early mycosis fungoides: validation of an algorithm proposed by the ISCL. First World Congress for Cutaneous Lymphomas, Chicago, IL, September 2010.
- Galvino A, Susa JS, Pandya AG, Cockerell CJ. CD30-positive cutaneous T-Cell lymphoma masked by lymphomatoid papulosis-like histology. American Society of Dermatopathology Annual Meeting, Baltimore, MD, October 2008.
- Lyons J, Susa JS, Hino P, Bardan A, Hughs S, Cockerell CJ. Compound melanocytic nevus with coexisting basal cell carcinoma in a young patient. American Society of Dermatopathology Annual Meeting, Baltimore, MD, October 2008.
- Arnold CA, Susa JS, Cockerell CJ. A case of solitary adult myofibroma. College of American Pathologists Annual Meeting, San Diego, CA, September 2008.
- Keehan P, Morel P, Cockerell C, Susa J. Fluoroscopy induced radiation dermatitis: a case report. American Academy of Dermatology Annual Meeting, San Antonio, TX, February 2008.
- Susa JS, Fosse K, Cockerell CJ. Coexisting invasive squamous cell carcinoma and atypical fibroxanthoma. American Society of Dermatopathology Annual Meeting, Chicago IL, October 2006.
- Susa JS, Perez I. Cockerell CJ. Two mesotherapy injection site reactions. American Society of Dermatopathology Annual Meeting, Chicago IL, October 2006.
- Susa JS, High WA, Yegappan S, Hoang MP. CD30-positive large cell transformation of mycosis fungoides. American Society of Dermatopathology Annual Meeting, Boston, MA, October 2004.
- Susa JS, Molberg KH, Hoang MP. Metastasizing malignant proliferating tricholemmal tumor with eccrine differentiation. American Society of Dermatopathology Annual Meeting, Phoenix, AZ, August 2003.